Wednesday 15 June 2011

Swiss travel Day 5: Wed 18/5/11: Bernina route: Poschiavo and St Moritz & Schaffhausen:Rheinfall

It was my last day in Heidiland. Got into an early train to experience the Bernina Express route. It is much shorter than Glacier Express but this UNESCO world heritage has nonetheless 55 tunnels and 196 bridges with stunning view of Alp Grum, Mount Palu, Bernina peak and Morteratsch Glacier. I actually prefer this route than Glacier Express. The scenery around Alp Grum is particularly gorgeous.


I stopped at Poschiavo, a small Italian speaking town with lovely piazza and colourful buildings. I did not intend to stop initially but since I am not willing to pay extra to secure a seat in the Bernina Express, I had to wait nearly an hour for the normal train to arrive. It is really a small town with River Poschiavino running through it. There are Old Town Hall and few churches and museums.


Left Poschiavo via normal train to St Moritz, a well known resort for the rich. Lake St Moritz is quite impressive in size. I wandered around the posh street of St Moritz that is dotted with designer label shops. I did not have much time for sightseeing as I could not afford to miss the train to Zurich. Once reached Zurich, I changed train to go to Schaffhausen where I got into bus 1 to Rheinfall,  the largest waterfall in Europe. There is boat ride to the center of Rheinfall but I arrived too late and missed the last boat. On top of the waterfall is Schloss Laufen. I walked around the waterfall then along Rhine River to get to Neuhausen station. My train to Innsbruck from Zurich was near 10pm and I reached Innsbruck past midnight. Slept at Innsbruck train station that night and I managed to get some sleep on the chair before woken up by some drunk youths.
Rheinfall





No comments:

Post a Comment