Thursday 9 June 2011

Iceland Day 1: Mon 2/5/11 : Blue Lagoon and Reykjavik

Iceland is reputed to be Europe’s Best Kept Secret. No kidding. It has amazing landscape and is a great place to witness the raw power of Mother Nature. It is here that human spirit is constantly tested. The long standing history of volcanoes eruption and earthquakes do not stop people from inhabiting this extraordinary country. It has 30 active volcanoes and the central highlands are not live able. With a low population 320 000 people, it continues to exist, brimming with geothermal energy and Viking spirit. Over centuries, the Icelanders have mastered the survival skills living in the “zitland”. Instead of living in fear of the next volcano eruption, they learn how to predict disaster and do fast emergency evacuation, redirect lava flow  and use geothermal energy for energy supply and green house farming. If the volcano eruption does not generate too much ash, it can even promote tourism and draw in crowd.

I read somewhere quoting that Iceland is a country that every visitor would vow to return..I only have 2 and a half day in Iceland. With such short timing, I merely had a glimpse enough to whet my appetite for future return. Iceland is truly an expensive country to travel in. From UK, one can fly by Icelandair or Iceland Express. I chose the latter because of departure from Gatwick. If travel in two, Icelandair has hotel plus flight package that is quite worth it. There are decent priced hostels but most will charge few euros for bed linen. There are many day tours from the capital, Reykjavik which although expensive, is worth trying if staying for short days like me. Day tours are offered by companies like Iceland Excursion and Reykajvik Excursion. In June, Grayline offers self-guided tour where tourists can hop on hop off as they travel to the south coast.

I wanted to travel in style this time since is a short trip and Iceland Express allows one baggage check in. But because I was engrossed with Korean dramas, I only have 40minutes to do packing. I decided to travel light and not to check in. It was the right decision because the flight was delayed by almost an hour. Although I arrived at the airport an hour early, there was computer problem at the check in counter. I had to run to the boarding gate as I only have 20minutes before  the flight take off. And inside the plane, there was second delay as three passengers who had their baggage checked in did not board the plane. After all this delay, I arrived at Keflavik airport 15min before departure time to Blue Lagoon. I would have missed the bus had I checked in my bag. The Blue Lagoon closes at 8pm hence if I take a later bus there would be lesser time in the lagoon. I did not even have time to change money to Icelandic Krona. Thank God Iceland is plastic card friendly even for small purchases!

I am really glad that I went to Blue Lagoon. Initially I was contemplating not going due to time factor and the fact that one has to shower naked in common bathroom. Return journey plus admission fee cost 6300 ISK by Reykjavik Excursion. On the way to the lagoon, the bus passed by barren land of volcanic lava covered with moss and lichen. As we approached the Blue Lagoon, I could smell the rotten egg smell of sulphur. The Blue Lagoon is a famous thermal spring near Reykjavik . Visitors have to shower before don on swimsuits for hygiene reason. I avoided looking straight on as I entered the bathing area. A lot of naked women of all ages...There are lockers here to put small bag, clothes and shoes. At the lagoon, the air is very cold so I hurriedly jump into the water. The hot spa water is both refreshing and rejuvenating. A lot of visitors have reported positive result of the water. Rich with minerals, I could feel myself more buoyant in the water than usual. I tried the silica mask which is provided free at the lagoon. Of all the services, I love the super hot steam bath and the hydraulic massage by thunderous waterfall the most. After near two hours, I left the lagoon. The Reykajvik Excursion bus dropped me at the KEX hostel. My hostel is very new and while some rooms are quite ready for rent, there is still ongoing renovation work. Decently priced, it is located near the center of attractions and my room is has the seaview of North Atlantic Ocean. After check in, I explored the capital on foot. Sunset is at 10pm hence I had plenty of time. Shopped for water and food in nearby 24 hour shop. Oh my, everything is so expensive. I bought a 50g packet of dried haddock crackers without checking the price and how shocked I am when I found out that it is near 4 pound...

Reykjavik is probably one of the most quiet capital I have ever been to. There is only 180000 people living in Reykjavik. The streets are almost empty and not many cars on road either. It is easy to find my way around as each street is well signposted. I searched for the towering Hallgrimskirkja. It is actually a church with unique architecture. The sweeping columns on both sides represent volcanic basalt and it is only completed after 34 years of construction. It closes by 5pm hence I did not manage to enter the tower. In front of the church is the statue of Viking Leifer Eiriksson, the first European that discovered America. Next, I walked to Lake Tjornin before heading back to my hostel. Watched Korean drama still fell asleep...

Blue Lagoon

Hallgrimskirkja








No comments:

Post a Comment