Sunday 12 June 2011

Swiss travel Day 1: Sat 14/5/11: Zurich

I felt exceptionally tired on this day. Feeling very listless and apathetic, I slept through the flight and despite that, I still feel groggy. My thought process was slow and I felt I was tad stupid...must be brain cells 20% dead from chronic sleep deprivation. I was having problem deciphering the tube and tram network...usually I pick up the system very fast. Besides that,  I learnt some painful lessons today (as in bleeding from pocket)


1) Switzerland is a very expensive country and definitely need to prepare few months ahead to save travelling expenses. Should have bought Swiss pass online : much cheaper. I should have ordered via stc.co.uk , a swiss travel agency in UK...The price at the Swiss counter costs about 20 pound more. Bleeding, keep on bleeding. This Switzerland trip goes very well with Leona Lewis's song.


2) If want to go sightseeing with Scenic train like Glacier Express and Bernina Express, need to book at least 3 months ahead. It is already fully booked hence despite having Swiss pass, still have to go by normal regional train. But sometimes can try your luck and ask on the day itself. But need to pay for booking on spot for a seat for Bernina Express.


3) If bought ticketsaver for train journey, stick to the time. I bought a discounted ticket Zurich-Luzern online (www.sbb.ch) but arrived at bahnhof early. So the stupid me boarded the train earlier than I should. On board, I was forced to pay the full price of a new ticket. Bleeding bleeding keep on bleeding...*chorus*.


The weather was crappy. Synonymously with my bleeding pocket, the sky was raining cats and dogs. Left my luggage in the Zurich central train station at the cost of CHF5 (bigger storage costs CHF8). Boarded train S10 to Uetliberg. It is the highest point of Zurich and at the top where Uto Kulm panaroma terrace is, one gets to see the bird eye view of Zurich and Lake Zurich. There is also Planetenweg (Planetary Path) that leads to Uto Kulm but is not really impressive. After that, there is a choice to hike for 1.5 hour to Felsenegg and take cable car down from there. I skipped the hiking to return to Zurich.


As I said, I was utterly confused with the tram system for unknown reason..I think I am just plain stupid or my brain just had a mental trip. Roamed around River Limmat aimlessly and reached the shopping street, Bahnhofstrasse. I wanted to go to Kunsthaus but boarded a  wrong tram. Coincidentally, the tram leads to Museum Rietberg. This museum is unexpectedly a delight. It consists of a cluster of villas with a green park surrounding it. I really enjoy the permanent collection (free entrance with Zurich Card) that consists of large collection of antiquities from China, Japan, Africa, Papua New Guinea, Mali, Peru, Mexico, etc. I especially like the collection of masks and wooden statues from different countries. It started to drizzle by the time I exited the museum but the rain got heavier after I entered Kunsthaus (free for permanent exhibit with Zurich Card). This art gallery has good collection of Monet (the famous Water Lily painting is here), Picasso and Van Gogh. The free audio guide is really good. There is also a large corner dedicated to Joseph Beuys. Museums are always a good place to go if it is raining outside :)


I was wet and cold by the time I reach Paradeplatz. I wandered around to see Fraumunster and Grossmunster upclose but the rain got worse. I was not sure where to get a tram so ended up walking back to the bahnhof. Since I reached the station early, I boarded an earlier train to Lucerne, a mistake that really drill a big hole in the pocket. I have paid for the ticket saver online but had to buy a new ticket inside the train again. The train officer is like a Gestapo agent who is strict and unyielding. He could have overlook my mistake because I am a blur tourist but like a little Napolean, he was unforgiving :(


In Luzerne, heavy rain again. Very cold...Walked quite a distance before reaching my hostel. Not a cheap night stay but considerably cheaper than Zurich hostels. The price is really crazy in Switzerland. Even a simple currywurst in the bahnhof is triple the price of a currywurst in Germany...Thank God, I brought a lot of food from UK ( I only realize the "No food from outside EU" rule in the airport). In the hostel, there were a lot of Korean youths...I wonder whether it is spring break for them.


Zurich

No comments:

Post a Comment