Monday 20 June 2011

Austria Day 4: Sun 22/5/11: Eisriesenwelt, Werfen and Melk, Danube Valley

I did a last minute change of mind. Initially I planned to join River Danube cruise and explore Danube valley villages like Melk and Krems an der Donau. But I had to see Eisriesenwelt (1641m), the largest ice cave in the world! So, after a wholesome breakfast buffet in Jufa hostel, I took a train to Werfen. I left my rucksack in the train station staff office and walked 8 minutes to a nearby bus stop to get a bus to Eisriesenwelt. Burg Hohenwerfen, a 16th century fortress can be seen on top of a hill. The bus journey to the cave is very scenic (return for euro 5.80). The fortress can be seen upclose with the background of Tennenbirge range. The admission fee (include guided tour ,euro 8.50) and cable car fees (return euro10.50) are at a higher side. One can choose to hike up the mountain but the ascent is a tough 4 hours climb...After buying tickets from the counter, there is  20minutes of steep walk before reaching the cable car station. The scenery along the way is awesome. I had to wait for nearly half hour because I just missed the cable car. Then, another 20minutes walk uphill to the cave after exiting the cable car. At the entrance to the cave, I donned on my winter clothing and wasted good minutes waiting for the guide to start the tour. The temperature of the cave was subzero ! And just when we entered the mouth of the cave, a chilling gust of wind hit us straight on....really freezing cold! No words can really describe the wonder that await us inside the cave. The cave spreads as deep as 42 km but visitors can only see the tip of the iceberg by going up and down series of staircases. Layers of ice formed thousands of years ago forming interestingly shaped natural sculptures like Odin, the elephant and Frigga, the polar bear and the Ice Palace (42m high) that looks like Santa Claus' hut :) There is Posselt Tower, a large staglamite and Great Ice Embankment that rises steeply at the height of 25m. The ice glitters like diamond under the lamp. The whole experience was out of this world! It is like visiting the White Witch's palace. Sadly, no photography allowed inside the cave. The tour lasted about 1 hour plus. At the bus stop near the ticketing office, chatted with a group of Indian guys while waiting for bus. They are engineers working in Germany. 



An unexpected mistake happened. I left my winter coat (with handphone in the pocket) at the Werfen station!!! It was hot outside the cave and I just hand carried it around and put it aside when I was purchasing train tickets. I did not realize it until the train conductor woke me up and asked whether I lost something. Thank God, guardian angels are watching over me even when I was asleep...By that time, I was already on my way to Salzburg. So, the very kind train conductor liaised with Werfen super efficient officer to have my coat passed to the next train to Salzburg. The kindness of the Austrians did not stop there. Just when I arrived at the platform in Salzburg station, the train conductor directed me to a small office and handed me to another equally marvelously helpful officer. And so I waited with him for the next train to arrive. He even helped me to plan my next journey to Melk in Donau (Danube) and offered to accompany me to the platform to retrieve my jacket. Right on time, the train arrived and my jacket plus phone arrived safely. I could not thank them enough. The whole escapade cost me an hour late.

Reached Melk past 5pm hence was not able to enter the famous Benedictine Monastery ( Stift Melk) which was used to be the palace of King Leopold I. This massive monastery can be seen on top of the hill the moment I exited the train station. I just wandered around the village and River Danube before taking a train to Wien. Arrived Wien after nightfall...tired.



No comments:

Post a Comment