Thursday 7 June 2012

Wales Day 3: Sun 5/6/2011: Llandudno

Woke up refreshed. Had a good breakfast in hostel before heading out. The weather was not as sunny as the days before.  I brave the cold wind and walked fast along Mostyn Street and passed by the Prince Edward Square to reach Llandudno Pier. Painted in blue and white theme, the pier somewhat resembles the Eastbourne pier but much longer. It is after all the longest pier in Wales. Like most piers, it has a tacky arcade, stalls selling food and trinkets and children playground. I could get good view of the Great Orme from the end of the pier.

It is a short walk uphill to the Happy Valley Garden, a former limestone quarry donated by Lord Mostyn. The strange looking Bardic Stone Circle is located here along with the lovely Alpine Rock garden. The longest cable car in Britain can be found here too. The best view of Llandudno and its two beaches (North Shore and West Shore) is from the old fort hill just above the garden. I found it by sheer curiosity after reading the information board on prehistoric settlement and Rocking stone. In that era, criminals were laid on the Rocking stone and if it rocks, innocence is proved and life is spared. If stone is immobile, prisoners would be thrown over the cliff into the sea. Intrigued, I hiked up the small hill to take a look at the Rocking Stone and remains of Bronze age settlement and was rewarded by a panaromic view of Llandudno. Nearby is the Ski & Snowboard Centre and Taboogan Run. I was very tempted to try the tabbogan because the trail is long and steep. The ride would be exhilarating but I have to buy ticket worth £4.50 for 2 rides with exact change via the coin machine...so I restrained myself. I did not climb the Great Orme hill but I had fun looking for the characters in Alice in Wonderland at the Alice trail. The garden was set up because the real Alice spent holiday in Llandudno before. Alice character is based on Alice Liddell whose father was Oxford University dean. There are figurines of the White rabbit, King and Queen of Hearts, the Cheshire cat and even a picnic table with wooden stools for the tea party with Mad Hatter! Now, if only real food appears on the table...


I skipped the Marina Walk to return to the Prince Edward Square. initially, I was planning to board a bus to Betws-y-coed but since I explored the small town on the day before...I decided to take a later bus. So, I walked to Church Walks and arrived at the historical 100 year old Great Orme Tramway, the only cable hauled tramway in Britain.  It was one of the very few three cables tram left in the world. Curious, I followed the tram uphill on foot. Ended up at the Great Orme mine, which is the oldest Bronze age copper mine and largest prehistoric mine in the world! I would love to explore the 3500 years old tunnels (admission fee is £6.50 for adults) but there was not enough time. Walking back towards the town, I found a fish and chip shop near the tram station. It is not just any shop, it won an award for best fish and chips in 2009. It did not disappoint. It tasted so so good! Love the cod fish and vinegar on chips. I was running late so I ate it at the bus stop. I am not sure whether it was the smell or the look on my face as I devoured the fish , everyone that passed by was looking at my food. Boarded a bus back to Betws-y-coed passing by Conwy and Llanwst.

The bus 19 to Betws-y-coed took 1 hour and cost £4 (single). There is nothing much to do or see. There are a lot of souvenirs shops at the train station and I managed to shop for Snowdonia cheese. The mustard with ale cheese is yummy! I did not visit the railway museum nearby (small fee per admission) but I visited the shop instead. Killed time by watching the miniature steam train chugging around the station carrying passengers of all age group. I caught the evening train to Llandudno junction then changed train to Cardiff central. There was 1.5 hour gap at Llandudno junction station so I went to explore the town. The streets were deserted and there were nothing to see. It was getting dark by the time the train pulled over at Cardiff Central station. Since it was Sunday night, the streets were quiet and most shops were closed. I walked along the St Mary street and High street to see the Cardiff Castle at night. There are many gardens around the castle but it is a shame I did not get the chance to visit. Initially, I planned to stroll along River Taff to reach Cardiff Bay but one look at the river and the darkness and stillness that surrounded it, I chickened out ...definitely not a good idea. Walked back to train station instead. My National Express bus to London was at 245am on the next day. To my dismay, although Cardiff is a big city, the central train station is closed by 1230 midnight. I tried to get temporary shelter in one of the waiting room in the platform but it smelled of urine...probably some drunkards passed out there before. The coach station opposite the train station is not any better, if not worse. There is no proper building like the central bus stations in Swansea or London Victoria so passengers have to wait in a bus stop. There is no protection from the harsh cold wind. It was very cold that night...8-9*C. Without my winter jacket, I really struggled. Another taste of being homeless. It was very scary too since there was no one else but me at some point. Once in a while, there would be other passengers waiting for bus to Heathrow or Gatwick airport. After I prayed for safety, a homeless man appeared. I actually felt slightly more relieved since there was someone else too. Thank God because he was not drunk and did not cause any ruckus at all. Somehow I survived that night without dying from hypothermia. On the bus, collapsed into deep sleep till the bus reach London Victoria. What a horrible weather. It was raining cats and dogs in London that morning hence I did not get the chance to visit Hyde park to while away time. My train ticket to Earlswood was only valid off peak time (after 930am) so I spent my time shopping at Sainsbury and Whittard.  Reached Earlswood safely and had to sleep to prepare for night shift on the same night.



 Prince Edward Square, Llandudno
The most yummy fish and chips

No comments:

Post a Comment