Friday 8 June 2012

UK Sun 12/6/11: Lake District: Windermere

No heavy duty hiking nor sightseeing today. Woke up to a glorious morning and had basic breakfast in the hostel. Then packed my stuff and started out towards Orrest Head, a popular viewpoint in Windermere. At the top, I rested on a bench while enjoying the view that spread before me. Great site to picnic!


Back in town, I wandered around aimlessly. With extra time to kill, I walked towards Bowness Village. Along the New Road, there is a public path "Sherif's Walk" that weaves along the river before connecting back to the road to Bowness. Initially, I was sceptical and reluctant to visit the World of Beatrix Potter (fee GBP 6.75) but I am glad I did. All of her famous animal tales are well depicted in beautiful exhibits. Everything just look so cute and pretty. There is Peter Rabbit garden,  video show and and interactive map to show Beatrix Potter's farm house, holiday homes and other places in Lake Distcit that inspired her. Beatriz Potter wrote all her stories based on her pets, family friend, Scottish washerwoman and landlady with the backdrops set in places like Hill Top (her first home in Lake District), Hawkshead (where she met her husband), Derventwater (the lake is Jeremy Fisher's pond), Sawrey etc. 


By noon, I walked another half hour to the train station. I had to change train twice at Oxenholme and Preston to Manchester where I changed to a coach to London Victoria. It was an exhausting long journey lasted about 9 hours. There is faster way to travel to Lake District via London Euston but I used another way for cheaper cost. The bad weather in the evening was not helping. It was still raining by the time I reached London. Waited for a train to Redhill and then changed train to Earlswood. It was near midnight when reached home...


World of Beatrix Potter

No comments:

Post a Comment