Wednesday 6 June 2012

Prague Day 1: Wed 25/05/11


Arrived in Prague via an early morning train from Vienna. In my opinion, Prague is probably the most beautiful capital I have ever visited. It actually surpasses Zagreb and Wien. After checked in into hostel Arpacay, I hopped into a tram towards Malostranka to visit Prague’s most popular attraction, the Prague Castle (Prazsky Hrad). It is the largest ancient castle in the world! From the castle, one can have a panoramic view of the city. The old castle steps lead to the east entrance instead of the main gate. First, I visited the Lobkowicz Palace with its vast collection of paintings (mainly portraits), armoury, musical instruments and decorative arts. I did not particularly enjoy the palace and fast became bored before end of the audio guide tour. Next is the Basilica St George, a 10th century church founded by Prince Vratislav 1 and burial ground for Premysl princes. In the center of the castle is the massive St Vitus Cathedral. After visiting the Story of Prague Castle, I walked around the third and second courtyard before exiting via the main gate.  Sadly, the Old palace and the Golden Lane (Alchemist Lane) were closed to visitors at that time. I took the time to stroll around the Royal Garden with the unique Ball Game House.



After the Royal Garden, I explored the Stare Mesto (Old Town) by crossing the famous Karluv Most (Charles Bridge). This photogenic bridge is strewn with sculptures on both sides along the whole length. There are towers at both ends too. The Old Town has so many churches that I lost count. It is easy to get lost in the crowd of tourists. Slowly, I drifted towards the Staromestske namesti ( Old Town Square) where the Old Town Hall and the amazing astronomical clock are situated. No doubt the ancient clock drew the most attention, even more than the on-going rock concert in the square. It is a nice place to sit and do people watching. So, I bought my dinner at the many food stalls at the square (overpriced of course) and while away time by watching the concert. Before sunset, I walked all the way back to my hostel in the Smichov area. It was a very long walk and I passed by the Wenceslas Square and the National Museum. Managed to snap a sunset view of the Dancing Building in the Nove Mesto (New Town).

 Karluv Most (Charles Bridge)
Many faces of Prague
View from Prague Castle






2 comments:

  1. There is dust on your sensor...you need to blow it away using a blower ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yar. Use blower can meh? No need use cloth?

    ReplyDelete