Friday 8 June 2012

UK Sat 11/6/11: Lake District: Ambleside, Grasmere, Rydal,Bowness-on-Windermere

It was a very long and tiring day. Sweet Adeline woke up early to make French toasts. After breakfast, Whye Onn dropped me off at Piccadilly station to board train to Windermere. It was a 2 hours journey and I dozed off along the way. Once reached Windermere, I dropped some stuff in the hostel before taking a bus to Ambleside.

Thank God weather was really perfect on this day. Ambleside is a very lovely town. It is a good base for hiking with lots of trail to choose from. I was spoilt by choices. At the end, I decided to explore Loughrigg Fell. I do not have OS map but I downloaded a written guide and managed to get a simple map of Ambleside at the tourist office in Windermere. At the bus stop, I walked along Kelsick Road passing by White Platts Recreation ground on the left before entering a church. After crossing the church courtyard, there is a signboard showing direction to the fell. I walked through the Rothay Park and arrived at a riverbank. Crossed an arched stone bridge and turned right. After went through two cattle grids, it is a steep climb to some houses on top. Then I climbed the stiles on the wall to reach another trail. From here onwards, I had no detailed guide and sort of just clambered my way through. I reached the top but I was not sure whether I have reached Todd Crag. The view however is all worth the effort. I did not know where to proceed from here and just sat on one of the big rock to eat my lunch. After lunch, I wandered around and prayed to God for sign. Almost immediately a couple with 2 dogs appeared near Lily Tarn. The man is a very experienced hiker and has climbed all the hills in Lake District. He suggested where to get best view of Windermere Lake which I gratefully follow. I told him that I wanted to go to Loughrigg summit and Lourigh Tann. He gave some directions but to be honest but I could not really remember all. I wandered off by myself and got lost. Another couple, Samuel and Beverly appeared and I followed them. Just when we chatted, I told them I did not know where I was going. Then the lady told me that the man with two dogs told them to watch over me because he knew I might be lost. I felt so touched. At that moment I knew God took care of me and has sent some angels to guide me...Thank you God! The hike was pleasant although there are some steep climbs. It is definitely easier than Snowdonia. Having someone to hike with is also more fun. We reached the summit ultimately and the view from Loughrigg Terrace is spectacular. I could see Windermere Lake, Loughrigg Tarn, Elderwater, Grasmere Lake and Grasmere town. Here, I left Samuel and Beverly and went down the path that leads to Grasmere. 


At Grasmere Lake, I strolled around the lake before continuing towards Rydal. I followed the path along River Rothay and reached White Moss, a small forrest that is near north end of Rydal Water. Then I hiked uphill towards Rydal Cave, a man made quarry that has been hollowed out of a rock outcrop. The cave is surprisingly very photogenic. From here, I hiked down to the Rydal Water. While waiting for bus, I visited Rydal Hall, an old manor house with lovely garden. It has formal garden and quiet garden. The interesting thing is the whole place is powered by hydro turbine using the water flow from nearby waterfall. Nearby is Rydal Mount and Dora field, where Wordsworth planted daffodils in remembrance of his daughter. I did not go to latter places because I had to return to Ambleside. Initially I wanted to do more hiking but I felt so tired that I abandoned the idea. I went to Bowness on Windermere instead. Bowness is very popular and was swarming with tourists. Most of them gravitated towards the ferry pier for the lake cruise. I am not a fan of cruise so I hiked up to Post Knott instead. Post Knott and Brantfell are two viewpoints overlooking Bowness Village and Lake Windermere. After taking in the view of Lake Windermere, I returned to Bowness village to board a bus to Windermere. Bought fish cakes and chips for dinner but it tasted nothing like fish and chips that I had in Llandudno. Very very tired by nightfall...
Loughrigg Fell

Lake Windermere
Rydal cave

No comments:

Post a Comment