Thursday 7 June 2012

Wales Day 1: Friday 03/06/2011: Swansea, Gower Peninsula


Oh dear. Is nerve wrecking trying to blog about a holiday that happened a year ago. Now I am getting a full payback from laziness and procrastination. Even if I have to tear my hair out, I must write about my trip to Wales. To recall my fragmented memories, I had to go through all my photos and reread the Lonely Planet to retrace my travel plan...my obsessive compulsive behavior is kicking in.

Just when I thought I know most of UK, Wales took me by surprise. This beautiful nook of UK is a definite MUST see! The Welsh are very proud of their heritage..I would too if I am a Welsh. It is interesting to note that they speak in Welsh and the language is widely used in the public signboards. There are many w and y and I just cannot get it sound right despite rolling or knotting my tongue.  From friendly warm people to rugged coastline and spectacular mountainous range, Wales has got the right recipe to make any travelers fall deeply in love. I know because I was smitten ;)  All in all I had a great time. Unfortunately, 3 days are not enough to see Wales. I had no time to explore Cardiff and Pembrokeshire.


It was almost like Murphy's law in action on this day. It took me 5 hours instead of 4 hours by train to reach Swansea because the 7th tunnel was closed and the train was rediverted to another route. From the Swansea train station, it is another 600m walk to reach the Castle Square passing by the ruins of Swansea Castle. The bus station is situated near the Quadrant shopping centre. One can buy Swansea Bay day ticket or Gower day explorer ticket from the bus driver.  I should have purchased a Plusbus ticket when I bought my train ticket because Swansea day ticket cost £4. Because of the delay, I missed the bus 118 to Rossili Bay. So, I had to strike Rossili Bay off the list :( 
And as if I had all the time in the world...the local buses were delayed as well. There were many passengers waiting too but nobody kicked any fuss. Everyone seemed to be so relaxed. The bus to Pennard arrived eventually and it was packed like sardine. The driver even had time to swing by a church to run a short errand.  As I said, everyone was cool about it. There are two ways to reach the famous Three Cliffs in Gower Peninsula. Either take bus 118 to Penmaen Church and walk from there (map and guidance available online but have to check the tide timing because need to cross the stream) or take bus 14 to Pennard Cliff and hike for 15minutes. Because both buses were much delayed and bus 14 came first, I chose the latter option.
The fresh sea breeze greeted me as I alighted at Pennard cliff. Sun was out and it was midterm break hence many families with kids were enjoying a day out on the beach...which explained the traffic congestion and bus delay. There is ample parking at the Pennard Cliff stop but the roads that lead to the cliff is quite narrow. I enjoyed the walk along the coastline to reach the Three Cliffs. Spent less than an hour along the cliff before walking back to the bus stop.  Had I known the bus would be delayed for more than an hour I would have spent more time at the beach. While waiting, I chatted with an old Welsh couple.

Back in Swansea, I lingered around the South Dock Marina with its new Sail bridge and walked along the beach facing Swansea bay. Did some shopping for food supply in Tesco before boarded a train to Porthmadog.  I purchased all my train tickets by advance to get cheaper price hence I could not afford to miss any train...Travelling in UK is expensive. Train tickets alone cost me £100++ but renting a car would have cost more too plus I would be very tired.

The train from Swansea was on time but the journey to Porthmadog takes about 5 hours plus and requires at least 2 changes. The train from Shrewsbury to Machynlleth was delayed by an hour and I reach there at midnight. Foolishly, I planned to sleep in the train station to save some quids as the connecting train to Porthmadog is at 550am. That night, I had a  grim taste of being homeless. The station has a waiting room with no heater and although it is enclosed, the cold snap at night was difficult to bear ...it was like 8 *C and I did not bring my winter jacket! The cold air managed to seep through the door slit and the metal bench is not helping...was wishing they are wooden or plastic benches. I survived the night but with barely 3 hours sleep. The toilet was locked too. I swore to myself not to do it again. It was pitch black inside the waiting room and the station was so deserted. Anything could have happened but God took care of me that night... Until today, I could not fathom the reason behind my temporary insanity. 


 The Three Cliffs, Gower
South Dock Marina, Swansea


1 comment:

  1. By using Car Rental 8 you can discover the cheapest car hire from over 50000 locations across the globe.

    ReplyDelete