Sunday 3 April 2011

Greece Day 5: Sun 27/03/11: Crete: Knossos Palace, Heraklion

Today is the day when the clock is turned one hour faster due to daylight saving. And because I worried that I might miss the 7am bus, I set my handphone alarm to 5am but my smart handphone has got automatic update and I ended up waking up 4am (old time). Anyway, I wandered around the port and walked to the Plaza Venizelou. It was pitch dark as sunrise would be much later. I could not find my way to the bus station and there was no one on the street to ask for direction. I tried stopping few cars but they just ignored me. The third car stopped and gave me direction but later I had to stop a police car for further direction. I was sweating by the time I reached the bus station ( I was running). 

Slept in the bus to Heraklion. Reached by 930am and boarded a 945am bus to Knossos. I was surprised that admission was free on that day. Knossos Palace, the largest of all palaces in Crete and home of minotaur kept by King Minos, was first discovered by a businessman in 1878. Systematic excavation began in 1900 and reconstruction began in 1925 to preserve the ancient site. First built in 1900 BC, the old palace was destroyed and New Palace  was rebuilt at the same site in 1700 BC. The reconstruction by Sir Arthur Evans and his team helps visitors to visualize the magnificent palace during its glory days. The palace was surrounded by a large city. The architecture and functionality of the layout design display how advanced and intelligent the ancient people are. There are west, north, east and south entrances. Royal apartments, Throne room, Queen's Megaron, Hall of Double Axes, Piano Nobile (Upper floor) and shrine are some of the many reconstructed rooms that leave visitors filled with wonder.  I explored the periphery of the castle before entering the main attractions. It was a magical experience...

At about 11am, I left Knossos by bus to return to the city. I did not have much time to explore Heraklion. Walked to nearby bus stop and took a bus to the airport to fly back to London. I was exhausted and glad to go home...

West facade of Knossos Palace, Crete

Queen's Megaron

North Lustral Basin





No comments:

Post a Comment