Sunday 3 April 2011

Greece Day 4: Sat 26/03/11 Santorini and Crete

Woke up early to see more of Santorini before boarding the 9am ferry to Heraklion, Crete. Sped up my quad towards Kamari to visit Ancient Thira. Silly me! I assumed that the Ancient Thira is on a flat land next to Kamari Beach. Little did I know that it is only open after 9am and it is situated on the top of the mountain. I cranked my quad all the way up and almost gave up halfway. I really should have quit because there is no access to the site even if one is willing to climb the steep slope to the top. Worse, there is a very narrow space in front of ticketing counter and I was having difficulty reversing my quad. A quad does not have reverse gear...so while I was trying to pull and push it manually, I almost got pushed off the cliff by the quad because it was parked on a slope! It is really a very heavy vehicle. I was thinking of letting the quad dropped off the cliff but I would have to pay a huge sum of compensation fee...Fortunately, with God's divine help, the quad stopped just when I was standing 1.5 feet from the cliff. After what seems like ages tug of war with my quad, I managed to push it to safety and rode all the way back. The view of Kamari beach with its black sand is beautiful but I did not have time to walk on the beach. Next, I went up Mount Profitis Ilias. The view from the mountain was great but I could not locate the monastery...I found the military headquarter instead :( Since it was time to return the quad, I sped back to Karterados. My hotel owner gave me wrong information about the bus and I missed the one bus that goes to the ferry port. Panicking, a Greek man directed me to a taxi stop just behind the bus station in Fira. I had to bargain for cheaper taxi fare to the ferry port. Cost me euro13 but I had no choice. The hotel owner refused to help and I could not afford to miss the ferry to Crete which will mean missing my flight back to London on the next day. 


I had to return to Santorini some day because there is so much to see and do. I missed the hot spring near Nea Kameni.


Sunrise in Santorini

View from near Ancient Thira of Kamari Beach




It is a long trip to Crete...about 6 hours. Met Roger, an American who is travelling Europe for few months by now. We chatted about our favorite places that we have visited. It was good fun but I had to retreat back to the lower level of the ferry because the deck was getting too hot near noon time. Slept a bit. I really should have brought my netbook along...


Arrived in Crete near 3pm. Walked to nearby bus station. Initially, I wanted to rent a car but by God's will, I could not find a car rental agency. After locating the bus stop that has bus service to the airport, I walked back to the bus station and bought ticket to visit Agios Nikolaos. The bus journey took about 1hr 30min. Somehow I was glad I did not get a car because I was tired. I was surprised by how pretty this small village is. Very scenic Lake Voulismeni dotted with colourful buildings around the port. I had to cancel my reservation in Youth Hostel in Rethymno because the earliest bus to Heraklion on Sunday is a bit late. Just when I was searching for direction to Mary's Pension, Mary (the owner) appeared in front of me near the bridge next to the lake. She is like a fairy godmother. I stayed one night with attached bathroom for merely euro15. Very kind woman, she gave me cookies and fruits to eat. After checking in, I walked along the port. Agios Nikolaos is a stopping point for tourists who want to visit Elounda and Spinalonga islands but obviously I had no time for both. After sunset, I walked around searching for restaurant that offer sea urchin salad but due to out of season, it was not possible. I ate in La Casa restaurant facing the lake. Very good ambience and the starter of saganaki prawn is marvellous. The main dish of grilled swordfish is slightly overdone but still taste good. I was given complimentary custard and ouzo (Greek local spirit) for free. So I was very satisfied:) Walked back to the guest house to rest early.

Agios Nikolaos

No comments:

Post a Comment