Saturday 2 April 2011

Eastern Europe Day 3: Wed 16/03/11: Croatia: Split and Hvar

Up early to explore the Split stari grad. The weather was horrible. It started raining and it was cloudy. Crossed Narodni Trg to enter the grad from Iron Gate. Reached Diocletian's Palace within a minute. It is indeed a majestic structure located in the middle of the grad. There is an old church besides the Roman ruins and a vestibule underground where vendors sell handicrafts and paintings. Since it is raining, there was nothing much I could do. I could not go hiking at Makarska nor Marjan Hill.


I was reluctant to stay indoor hence decided to board a ferry to Hvar, which was a big mistake. The rain became heavier and the wind became more ferocious. By the time I reached Hvar, it was like a mini storm. To make things worse, I went to the toilet about the time of disembarkation and I missed the one and only bus to Stari Grad and Hvar town. I did not realize that bus from ferry to town is only 3 times a day and correlate with ferry arrival and departure. The taxi from the port to town cost euro20 about 3 times my ferry ticket. I tried to ask for a lift from the locals that dropped by the port to buy ferry ticket but all refused to help. Even the ticketing officers were not helpful. Stranded at the port for about an hour and there was no sign of rain becoming lighter or stopping. So, I decided to walk to Stari Grad...with my umbrella. It was very difficult to walk against the wind...and all the time I was thinking about the tsunami victims in Japan and how horrible they must have felt. Was praying to God all the time to reduce the rainfall but God gave me better. About 10 minutes of walk, a Croatian man drove by and stopped me and gave me lift to town without me asking. Bless him. He dropped me off at Stari Grad. Off season, there is nothing much to do there really. It is a quaint and peaceful little village. Charming in a way. I explored the waterfront and walked around the town. Discovered a small church and Dminikaski Samorstan, a monastery that functions as museum now (closed). There is a bus from Stari Grad (old town) to Hvar town at 2pm so while waiting for the bus, I bought some food in supermarket to eat. 


The journey from Stari Grad to Hvar town was along the coastline hence was rewarded with scenic view. Thank God, the rain has stopped. From far, one can see the imposing structure of Hvar fortress. It is a very attractive resort town. Off season, it is peaceful and relaxing but during summer, it can get very crowded. The public toilet was locked hence I walked to hotel at the waterfront to use its toilet. The massive square at the centre is called Trg Svetog Stjepana and Cathedral of St Stjepan is one of the important landmark there (closed). Since museums and cathedral are closed, the only thing left to do is to climb the hill to reach Spaniolar, a citadel built on site of a medieval castle to defend the town against the Turks. From the top of the hills is a bird eye view of Hvar town, Adriatic sea and nearby islands. 


Descended the hill in time to catch the bus back to ferry port. Left my umbrella at the bus stop :(
While waiting for the ferry, I noticed how clean is the water at the ferry port. Not polluted at all and not a single rubbish seen compared to Locrum port in Dubrovnik. I was impressed. Made me wonder was it because it was off season...


It was nightfall by the time I reached Split. Bought bus ticket to Sarajevo and changed some pound to BAM (Bosnia currency). Had pita bread with squid for dinner. I love squid! Explored the stari grad again and the night view of Roman ruins at night is even more attractive than daytime.
Slept late again...


Diocletian's Palace, Split

Hvar fortress from far



No comments:

Post a Comment