Sunday 3 April 2011

Greece Day 2: Thu 24/03/11 Mykonos

Slept for 10 hours which was very unusual for me. Everything felt great until landlady turned up at my door breaking a bad news. My catamaran to Santorini in the afternoon was cancelled due to turbulent sea...


After breakfast, I walked to Hora to recheck ferry schedule. To my dismay, I did not have many options due to low season. In order to go to Santorini, I had to go by ferry to Syros at late night and then transfer to Paros on the next morning before boarding another ferry to Santorini. That significantly shorten my stay in Santorini. Another option was to skip Santorini altogether, get a ferry to Athens and then transfer to Crete. I chose the first option and the whole trip is still cheaper than the cost of my catamaran and I was refunded the difference.


Now, I had a lot of time to spare. Another full day in Mykonos!!! I explored Hora again for 2nd time and spent some time at the old harbour (departure to Delos) and Agios Anna beach. Then, I walked all the way to Old Port, New Port and reached Toulos. I was definitely getting sunburnt by then. There was another few kilometre walk to Lake Marathiou and Agia Sostis beach but I backed out halfway because it was really quite far up north. Saw the Lake from far though...
I found a shortcut to Hora near the junction to go to Ano Mera village. I should have rented a quad to go to this village since it is 6km away. My left foot was forming blisters and both of my ankles were excoriated so I skipped walking there.  Back in Hora, I circled the town for another 2 more times. I even took nap at one of the bench in front of a church. My attempt to look for ice cream failed. The whole town does not sell ice cream during winter...unlike Croatia. While waiting for sunset, I sat on a bench and started writing my travel blog accompanied by stray cats...
Visited Ornos beach before walking back to the guest house.


At near 930pm, the guest house owner dropped me at the new port. The massive Blue Star ferry arrived on time. The reception is like 5 star hotel...very impressive indeed. Slept for half an hour on the comfortable cushioned seat before arrived at Syros near midnight. I walked along the waterfront trying to look for cheap hostel. A local told me that accommodation in Syros is pricy and the even the cheapest hostel cost euro25-30 per night. The Artemis ship to Paros was already at the dock but passengers are not permitted to enter until 1 hour before departure. So I decided to stay awake throughout the night in a 24 hour cafe. However, the main shops along the harbour are mainly pubs and discos. The Greeks really know how to party. Moreover, it is a national independence day on the next day so they partied the night away. I found a small cafe that open at night till 8am. I was not hungry but I ordered chicken crepe anyway. The staff in cafe is very kind. He lent me his laptop to use the wifi there and gave me dessert for free. The cafe had quite good business but a lot of customers smoke...so I was quite suffocated really. At 6am, I thanked the cafe staff profusely and left to sleep in the ferry.
Lovely street in Hora

No comments:

Post a Comment