Saturday 2 April 2011

Eastern Europe Day 5 Fri 18/3/11: Sarajevo to Dubrovnik

Woke up early to explore Yellow Fortress (Zuta Tabija). After eating the sweet Sarajevo tart for breakfast, I walked along Kovaci road. It was slight drizzling at that time. Along Kovaci is a cemetery where victims of war were buried. The years of death were mainly 1992-1995. The view from Zuta Tabija is of the Sarajevo city. Met Tokiko at the Sibilj Fountain and we walked around Bascarsija together. It was raining slightly heavier and cold so we took refuge in a small lovely Turkish cafe where Tokiko had her Turkish coffee while I ate my Sarajevo sweets. The sweets are too hard for my weak teeth...I actually broke my tooth filling.


I only left with 0.45 Bosnia marka and the lady at the hostel reception kindly donated me another 60 cents to buy one bottle of mineral water. Tokiko and me boarded Tram 1 to go to the bus station (it stopped at the railway station). The bus to Dubrovnik departed on time.


The view of Bosnia countryside is very scenic. Rolling green hills with emerald river and myriads of bridges offer very photogenic view.

Once arrived in Dubrovnik, Tokiko and me walked towards the ferry port to enquire about ferry schedule to Mljet. To my disappointment, the ferry kiosk to Mljet is closed! It was another 15minutes walk to the Youth Hostel which is located uphill. Poor Tokiko...her bag is much heavier than mine. Worst, by the time we reach the hostel, the reception was closed. During winter, it is only open for certain hours of the day. So we walked to the fort with our rucksack.

In the stari grad, we explored the Cathedral, Sponza Palace and the pier (boats to Locrum). We bought some food to cook in the hostel and took a bus to the hostel. Back in the hostel, met Hideaki, a friend that Tokiko got acquainted in Zagreb. He never fail to make me laugh. A happy go lucky fellow, he is traveling around Europe for 5 months. Ironically, he has climbed Mount Kinabalu and Everest but not Mount Fuji. Later, we travelled together to Kotor and met again in Skopje. The night was fun because it is only three of us in the hostel. With the background of famous Japanese songs, some I recognized from watching Japanese dramas, we chatted the night away. It is like a small Japanese tea party :)

No comments:

Post a Comment