Sunday 3 April 2011

Greece Day 3: Fri 25/03/11 Paros and Santorini

Arrived at Paros at 830am. Though I have less than 4 hour in Paros, I had great time. In the past, Paros was famous for its white marble...Venus de Milo was carved using Parian marble.


I did not have a map so I just stumbled my way around following sign boards and wall map. I crossed the Plateia Mavrogenous to wander around the cobbled path alleys in Paros. Found the old Frankish castle ruins dated back to 1260AD. Not far from the kastro is the old church of Agios Konstantines. I tried to manouver my way based on a small map on the wall but failed miserably.  I passed by a small field full of wildflowers and was quite near a marching band before admitting I was lost. It is interesting to note that the Greek gives direction in kilometer as if I have innate GPS that can measure how kilometer I have walked. So I was directed to turn left after walking 2 km. Few more locals gave me direction and I found the Church of Panagia Ekatonta Pilliani. There was a big crowd outside and inside the church due to ongoing prayer ceremony for National Independence Day. I squeezed my way through the crowd and was impressed with this massive church which is also known as Our Lady of the Hundred Gates. I waited patiently for the crowd to exit the church. Snapped many photos of local children dressed in colourful traditional Greek clothes. It was a wonderful experience :) I followed the crowd to see the ceremony that take place near a monument. Halfway through, I left to walk to the Lividia beach and passed by an ancient cemetery of Paros dated back to 8th century BC. I can imagine how creepy it is to visit it at night with some sarcophagus appear submerged underwater. Lividia beach is lovely and lots of autumn shade trees lining the promenade. Turned back towards the harbour and boarded ferry to Santorini.
Alley in Paros

Greek children in traditional clothes outside Church of Panagia Ekatonta Pilliani

The ferry stopped at Naxos and Ios island en route. The ferry was quite full but I managed to find a seat to sleep. Rushed up to the deck as the ferry was approaching Santorini near 3pm. The caldera and multicoloured rocky cliffs are amazing. Reminded me of kek lapis Sarawak  :p
Santorini really lives up to its name. Its unusual landcsape is formed by volcanic eruptions. I am glad I went to Santorini though I had less than 24 hour to enjoy this lovely island. I should have rented car or quad at the ferry port but because I had free pickup from the ferry port by the hotel that I booked, I did not do so. The benefit of renting car from the port is one can return it at the same place before departing from the port. The road from the port to Fira is very convulated and steep and probably not very safe if to commute with a quad bike, especially if riding quad for the first time. My accommodation is located at Karterados, 10minutes walk from Fira(town). After checked in, I wasted no time to find a quad to rent. Unfortunately, most shops are closed and people are at the church for Independence Day prayer. After asking another tenant in my hotel, I managed to find a shop that is open. I was given a crash course on how to ride a quad (car license is sufficient) and I was ready to ride off to the sunset in Oia. Riding a quad bike for the first time was definitely an exhilarating experience. I can imagine why so many men obsessed with Harley Davidson. The view along the journey from Fira to Oia village is captivating. Oia is a lovely and peaceful fishing village. I drove to Ammoudi Bay where I can see part of Thirasia island. Watching the sunset in Oia made my short visit to Santorini all worthwhile. The glowing yolk of the sun disappeared under a perfect uninterrupted horizon. After sunset, I sped my quad back to Karterados to eat dinner. The fastest I could go was 30miles per hour so a quad is definitely not meant for long distance. I found a local Greek restaurant and ate stuffed cabbage for starter (love it) and grilled lamb with cheese for main. I was stuffed full to the brim and was a very happy woman when I left the restaurant :) Had an early night rest...
Caldera in Santorini

Ammoundi Bay

Sunset in Oia





No comments:

Post a Comment