Thursday 9 December 2010

Ireland 6th day: Thu 2/12/10 Gap of Dunloe, Ring of Kerry, Skellig Ring, Killarney National Park

The day started well and full of optimism. My spirit was high because I was going to the Gap of Dunloe. This is one of the place that I really wanted to visit by foot but due to lack of time, I decide to drive to the Gap. Driving through the gap can be dangerous. The winding path is narrow and at some parts were covered with snow. There is a small parking area near the famous Kate Kearney cottage and most people start their hike from there or hire a jaunting car. But during winter, it is deserted and probably the best time to explore the gap without any disturbances. The spectacular view of Macgillycuddy's Reeks (Ireland's highest mountain range) and Purple mountain along the gap lives up to my expectation. The gap is also the place where I had my most painful fall. Distracted by the amazing view while trying to snap photographs, I slipped for the 2nd time and fell on my left hip. Tried to break the fall with my left hand but it did not help at all and the bruise set in fast. Had I been an old lady, I would have had a hip and Colles fracture.  I must have created quite a loud scene because the mountain lamb was looking at me giving me a "meh, suck it up" or "are u okay ?" kind of look depending on how you want to interpret it.. He he he. There is no way to exit the gap via another way, one has to U-turn and goes back the same way. I made a mistake and got stuck at a dead end. Worse, my car tyre got stucked in the slush ice. A kind Irishman happened to be nearby and he helped me to reverse my car. I guessed he had no choice because I was really blocking his exit. Phew!!!

From the gap, I drove to Killorglin, Glenbeigh, Caherciveen then to quaint fishing village of Portmagee. These places are part of the Ring of Kerry. The sceneries along the small towns at the coastal line of Iveragh Peninsula are worth the long drive. One can even go to the Valentia Island by ferry. From Portmagee, I drove along the narrow Skellig Ring. Other towns along the ring are Waterville, Caherdaniel, Castlecove, Sneem. To complete the Ring, I drove to Molly's Gap and into Killarney National Park for the famous Ladies View. Since it was getting dark, I skipped Muckross House and Torc Waterfall to go to the Ross Castle. Most places were closed for the winter including the castle.
Ring of Kerry

Killarney National Park

Ladies View

After that, I did a very stupid thing. I drove from Killarney to Glendalough in county Wicklow at night. I had no inkling that Wicklow and Dublin were covered with thick snow since the west Ireland had milder winter. It was a very long drive. Even the motorway condition was poor. Lots of snow and slush at the sides and in darkness, is easy to miss an exit or crash into the divider between the exit and main motorway. I was driving mostly on motorway cutting through Mallow, Tipperary, Portlaoise, Kildare but made a mistake at final leg of the journey. I followed the GPS fastest route and it directed me to leave the motorway to enter the mountain roads that passed by the towns of Newbridge, Naas, Blessington. The towns were severely affected. I knew I was into deep shit but I could not turn back as the roads are narrow with thick snow at the sides. I was singing hymn along the way and prayed hard to God to keep me alive. It must be the longest prayer in my life. It was total pitch black and as I drove on, there were no houses nor any sign of life. It was just snow and darkness with Death lurking around the corner. I lost control of the steering at least once but miraculously did not crash. I dared not to stop and drove slowly at gear 2. I made it to Larach and turned right into Glendalough. Ironically, despite surviving the mountain roads, my car was stuck past the bridge on the way to Glendalough International Hostel. I tried hard to reverse but the tires could not grip the ice. Three angels appeared in the form of 3 Irishmen came to my rescue. They shovelled the ice away from the tires and helped me to reverse the car and park it near the Glendalough Hotel where the snow was less thick. They even dropped me off at the hostel. I cannot thank them enough. The Irish are really kind beyond words.
The lady at the hostel was surprised I actually turned up for the night. There were only 2 travellers in the hostel including me! I had the ensuite room all by myself. The hostel is very beautiful and I had a good night sleep.
Thank you God for hearing my prayer. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment