Sunday 5 December 2010

Ireland 1st day: Sat 27/11/10 Ireland became Narnialand!

It was a mad day to begin with. Slept at 4am and rose at 8am. Need to catch a bus to airport at 11am. Prepared breakfast and lunch in a gusto. Made fried rice with egg. And I was waiting for a parcel that contains the much needed waterproof hiking boots that luckily arrived at 10am. I had to rush to the hospital to print out my hostel bookings. Really last minute...


I was still in the silly notion that Ireland is not snowing and I would have to prepare for rainy weather during hill hiking. I even bought a raincoat online...Rain is the least worry! The Regatta shoes proven to be really waterproof, well padded and has decent grip but too stiff (due to leather) and too snug for my feet after wearing a pair of socks. I did not feel it when I tried it on but after started walking around for days, the pain became significant that I was practically limping on the last day of my trip. The colour of my left 3rd toe actually turned blue and the nail is dying due to the impingement caused by tight front of the shoes. I actually thought I had frostbite but the fact I could still feel and move the toe is a big relief. Is too late for any return as I have worn the shoes across Ireland. I have to find a cobbler to expand the shoes as I do not want to give up on it yet. Surprisingly, as I googled the internet, there are quite a number of solution to stretch shoes.

I have done loads of reading on lonely planet, checked the sunrise and sunset timing but for the love of God, I forgot to check the weather!!! How stupid of me! Had I know it is snowing ....I would have just take the Paddywagon tour and cancel/forfeit all deposits made with car and hostel booking. Driving on snow clad roads are truly a nightmarish experience which I was to find out soon enough...


Reached Gatwick airport South terminal on time. Like many other passengers, I was stucked in the airport due to delayed flight. There was 4 inch snow in the Dublin airport and the airport staffs were trying to thaw the ice. My flight which was initially scheduled at 130pm  was postponed to 430pm then to 630pm and later to 720pm. I had to call up the car booking agency repeatedly to inform about the delay and change the collection time. I had to call up the hostel in Drogheda as not all hostels allow check in beyond 10pm without notice. The long wait was not such a pain after all because I met Tina, a very nice Canadian girl. We were in the same flight. She is a very positive girl who was trying to cheer me up by saying that the snowing in Dublin is probably just for 1 day. How I wish that is true. The Queen of Narnia is back and she is meant to stay for a couple of months. The 4 inch snow on that day was just a beginning... 
Coming from a country which has worse winter, Tina reassured me that 4 inch snow is really nothing to worry about. She advised me on how to drive on snow which came handy in later days. What is interesting is, though Canada has colder winter, the days has longer sunlight just like Texas and air is more crisp and fresh. Seriously, that changes things. I hate the fact that sky becomes dark by 4pm in winter. Is just too depressing with prolonged darkness. I met a very kind Irish couple who gave me their contact number just in case I need any form of help. The Irish are very friendly and kind people. They have really BIG heart :)


The long wait became quite emotional at the end. A couple of passengers began to voice their dissatisfaction. The delayed flight changed things. For the nice Piers couple, they missed attending a funeral, for one of the girl, she had to fly back the next morning which really means she had only 8 hours in Dublin and for me, my initial plan to visit the shopping centres in Drogheda vanished into thin air.  What became the last straw that broke the camel's back was when another flight to Dublin that was scheduled at 630pm was allowed to take off in time way before us, the much delayed 130pm flight. The crowd flew into high rage at this unspeakable stupid move of Ryanair. There is no Ryanair office in Gatwick hence no spokeperson to complaint to. Alas, at 720pm we managed to board the plane and arrived at 840pm. 


Upon arrival at Dublin, I ran like mad woman to get my car because the collection time was 8pm. Reached the counter at 9pm. I paid for the full tank of petrol at euro60 and paid euro 88.83 for 6 days rental (included euro15 for booking fee!!!) My rented car is a new car...way beyond my expectation. It is a Fiat punto with manual transmission. Now, I have not driven manual car for some time since the last time I driven a manual rented car was in Kota Kinabalu early this year. Driving an european car is slightly challenging. I got confused with the fact that the lighting switch is on the left and the wiper switch is on the right. The petrol cap does not have a lever to open it, just use hand and use the key to unlock. There is heater and fog lamp. I had to fumble around to find the cigarette lighter point to plug in my GPS. And I had no idea that a reverse gear has an extra lever to press when using it. On the first night driving, I did struggle as I was not used to the GPS but thank God, I had the good sense to book a nearby hostel in Drogheda that is only 20-30minutes drive from Dublin airport. To go to Drogheda, exit south Drogheda at M1 motorway to avoid the tollbooth between Julianstown and Drogheda North.


Reached Drogheda fairly easy but I could not find the hostel! Drogheda is quite a big town with 2 Tescos and few shopping centres and many bridges. The problem with GPS is without the exact address or coordinates, is impossible to find a place without getting a bit lost. I circled around the town and landed at the railway station before calling the hostel and thank God again, found the place. There is no parking provided and I was supposed to park at the railway station which is 5min walk away. But the staff in Green Door Hostel was very kind. He allowed me to park just outside the hostel, helped to reverse the car (and taught me about the reverse gear) and even explained about the facilities in the hostel thoroughly. Unfortunately, the heater was off and it was freezing cold. Skipped bath (to my delight :p) and had warm chocolate before sleep. In the kitchen, met an Irish man who is really friendly. He works as a child entertainer and is involved with charity organization and plan to go India. Due to low season, I had the whole room for myself. I am the only girl in the whole hostel but somehow I felt safe. Later in the night, another Irish guy came in. He works in Drogheda but stranded because of the weather, unable to cycle back to Slane. First time in my life, a guy kissed my hand at introduction. I thought that kind of gesture only practiced by the French or during Victorian time in the movies. He is a friendly chap and we chatted a bit. It was a long day and I was totally wasted. Buried myself under the quilt to create an igloo effect and armed with my thick woolen socks, I fell into a deep slumber...

2 comments:

  1. Maybe your feet stretched a little bit when you stood up, e.g. size 6 3/4 sitting, 7 standing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emm, you may be right. I used ice and shoe tree to stretch it. It did stretch a bit but I still need to stretch 0.5 inch further...

    ReplyDelete