Wednesday 8 December 2010

Ireland 4th day: Tue 30/11/10 Cong (Mayo), Connemara(Galway)

Rise and shine! Time to explore Cong. County Mayo was one of the worst hit place during the potato famine hence many locals had migrated during that period of time. The small town of Cong is sparsely populated but has a quiet charming quality in its atmosphere...
I drove to Lough Corrib before sunrise. Most part of the lake was frozen and the stillness of the air was haunting (quite depressing). Next, I drove to see the medieval Ashford Castle, a place to stay if you want to feel like a royalty. It was first built in 1228 and do not even start asking about the price per night....Other attractions are Cong Abbey and Pigeon Hole Cave but I had to skip them to go to Galway county.


The view along the way to the Maam Bridge was stunning with snow capped Maumturk mountains and rustic bogs. From the bridge, I drove towards Maam Cross but unfortunately, I could not enjoy the view because of heavy snowfall. I reversed back to the bridge and continued my journey towards Leenane instead. Passed by  the Kylemore Abbe enroute to Connemara National Park in Letterfrack. The road going up to the national park was quite slippery. When I was making a turn to park my car, I lost control and almost crash into the bushes but fortunately, the car stopped within an inch...The visitor center was closed and the lake nearby was frozen. It was near the lake that I slipped and fell on the snow for the first time! Thankfully, I was all alone. I decided to hike the Diamond Hill even though some paths were covered with snow. I am glad I did because the view from the top of Twelve Bens mountain range was gratifying. 

Lennane

Connemara National Park


After the park, I drove to Clifden, Cashel ,Moyrus (near Mace Head) and Spiddal. The view along the coastline kept me awake throughout the long drive and I stopped intermittently to take photographs. By the time I reached Salthill, it was near sunset. The snow on Salthill makes it look like real salt from afar. I cut through Galway City to go to Burren county. My plan was to spend a night at Ballyvaughan in county Clare but I had not book any accomodation. Little did I know that most B&B were closed. I was too tired when I arrived at Ballyvaughan so I just checked in into any available lodge. I stayed in Logue's Lodge though is expensive. The room is decent though and I slept early...


No comments:

Post a Comment