Thursday 23 December 2010

Cologne Day 1: Wed 22/12/10

I was a walking zombie. The night shift on the day before drained me physically, emotionally and mentally. I lost count of how many times the idea of quiting my job in UK crossed my mind...Working in a UK hospital made me miss Malaysia so much...I actually miss working in my old hospital!

Worse, I dared not to sleep. I had a nightmare about missing my flight because I could not find the airport terminal. The dream was so vivid and it stuck in my mind long after I woke up.

Checked the flight information every half an hour because delay was expected. Cooked lunch and packed dinner. Thankfully, the bus to the airport was functioning. On Saturday, during the heavy snowfall, the bus service was paralyzed. The airport was swarming with people who rushed to go home for Christmas. My flight was delayed 1.5 hour. Dozed off in the plane almost immediately.

Reached Cologne at 10pm, 1 hour ahead of UK time. Struggled with German language while buying train S13 ticket (€2.40) to Köln Hbf via the ticket machine...luckily a German gentleman helped me out. Later I learnt that there is option of different language at the ticketing machine...

The Station Hostel for Backpackers gave a very simple instruction to follow.  The moment I exited the hauptbahnhof (central station), I was awestruck by the majestic view of Kölner Dom. I have seen quite a few cathedrals in UK but nothing compared to this gigantic cathedral. When Lonely Planet described it as Mt Everest of cathedrals, they were dead serious...So far, it is the only cathedral that made me say OMG at first sight. It is that impressive...especially the night view!

The hostel is quite pleasant. Though slightlly on the pricy side, it is very near the train station. It has free internet but on the down side, heavy concentration of cigarette smoke saturated the air in the common room so I can only blog for half hour before passed out.


Time to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment