Sunday 2 January 2011

Cologne Day 6: Mon 27/12/10 Last day in Cologne

Took my time to rise and shine. It was the last day in Cologne and since all the museums are closed on Mondays, I just have to cover the Dom treasury and south tower...so no stress at all.


Walked to the Cologne Cathedral for the 3rd time. Realized that I missed some parts of the cathedral on the first day...it is a massive cathedral after all. Behind the altar is the Shrine of Three Magi, which contains the remains of the kings who followed the star to the manger in Bethlehem where Jesus was born. It was first brought to Cologne from Milan in 1164.The older version of the sarcophagus is repaired and now at display in the Domschatzkammer (Catehdral Treasury). It is made of wood, hand painted with biblical scenes and is decorated with jewels though most were stolen by thieves.  The treasury and the south tower are worth the visit and the combined ticket is euro5. Inside the treasury, there is the sacred chamber that displays Bishop's crosier, medieval processional crosses, monstrances, chalices and other liturgical vessels, room of the Three Magi with the old sarcophagus that has been restored, Lapidarium with findings from 6th century Frankish graves and Parament room that shows the Bishop's garments.

After the treasury, I walked out of the cathedral to reach the south tower. Here I climbed 509 steps to reach the top of the tower. I was so out of breath and my calves still remain painful until now. The view is refreshing though it would be better if it is not barred with wires everywhere...

Since my flight was at night. I had time to visit the St Maria im Capitol. Found the Rathaus and Rathausturm while walking towards the church.  St Maria im Capitol is the largest among all Romanesque churches in Cologne and  was founded in 1065AD. It has an interesting trefoil shaped apse. Inside, a 11th century  wooden door with carvings of biblical scenes is at display.

Lastly, I shopped around Hoho Strasse. Could not resist buying a Kolner bun (taste is just so-so) and smashing Curry wurst. After buying a tunic in C&A, I rushed back to hostel to get my rucksack and hopped into a S13 train to the airport.

Thank God, flight was only very slightly delayed...
Curry Wurst!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment