Sunday 2 January 2011

Cologne Day 3: Friday 24/12/10 Aachen

Aachen is located about 1 hour away from Cologne and is very near the Belgium border. I should have make a trip to Brussels had I know that earlier. The return train ticket made me coughed out blood...it was euro30! Sorry for crying out loud but it was just an hour away...even train in UK is not that costly. 


It was snowing on that day but I could still appreciate that Aachen is indeed a charming town. Aachen was the capital for Emperor Charlemagne's Frankish empire and is famous for its mineral spring water and Dom (cathedral) which houses the 800 AD Pfalzkapelle (palace chapel) with Carolingian architecture. The cathedral is just a short walk away from the train station. The interior of the palace chapel definitely has an opulent feel to it. The wall is painted with gold colored motifs and the chandelier is from Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa.  The chapel safe keeps relics like Christ's loincloth, shrine of Charlemagne, Pala d'oro gold plated altar front depicting Christ's Passion and jewel encrusted copper pulpit (11th century). Unfortunately, the Domschatzkammer was closed on Christmas eve. My hope of seeing Lotharkreuz, a 10th century processional cross vanished...


After visiting the palace chapel, I wanted to see the Couven museum but it was closed even before 12noon. I reckoned that other places of attraction would be closed too hence I wandered around to see the Rathaus and checking out numerous bakeries in Aachen (it is famous for printen: soft spicy biscuit) and did some shopping. Found a lovely shop that sells tea and coffee. Stopped there to buy souvenir and ate my packed sandwich. Shopped in Kaupthof and bought a tunic...in children department (am not proud of this...). Before leaving Aachen, I found Elisenbunnen but I stupidly did not go in to drink its famous spring water.


Reached Cologne at near 5pm. Went to the Cathedral to find out about time of Christmas eve mass. I was too tired to be able to attend the midnight mass hence I went for the 5pm evening service instead. It was very cold and despite the fact that the Cathedral was full of people, I was still feeling the cold creeping deep into my bones. The service was of course in German and there was candle lighting too.
Palace Chapel in Aachen

Aachen

Christmas Eve dinner


After the service, I went around the town searching for good German food. Most restaurants were closed but I found a humble pub by the name of Gaststatte Lederer. Had a sumptuous Christmas eve dinner (plum stuffed roast pork) complete with a glass of rum gluhwein :) Would be even better if I brought Yenna along though.


Back in hostel, met Bonnie, an education student from Hong Kong. There were a lot of students from China too. Wrestled between decision to sleep or attend Christmas midnight mass with Yenna and a Korean guy. I needed sleep and had not fully recovered from my night shifts. The bells chimed loudly half an hour to midnight and I was very tempted to go out. But fatigue won the battle and I fell asleep within minutes...

No comments:

Post a Comment