Sunday 10 October 2010

My first solo backpacking experience in Scotland 2-9/10/10

Outside Buchanan Bus Station

Nice public toilet in the middle of Glasgow city!
View from Necropolis 

                                                         Massive Necropolis (graveyard)
Glasgow Cathedral

Squinty bridge

Inside Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, remind me of Ben Stiller's A night in the Museum :)

Am not a good writer. But I decided to document my experience so that my family members and good friends know what I am up to. This is also a tribute to my late father and to new friends that I have met throughout the journey.

1st day (Sat 2/10/10) Glasgow city

Is crazy. I had not been having good sleep for the past few days because of busy researching Scotland. I read about the history, about Queen Mary and Bonnie Prince, places to visit and how to get around. I had 1 hour sleep 2 nights before travel and did not sleep at all the night before travel because I am worried that I would miss the plane.

Got into bus 100 in front of East Surrey hospital at 530 am. It was very cold and pitch black. I was the only one at the bus stop. It was very foggy and I could not help but to think of the horror movie The Fog. This is the worst part of being a horror movie fan. Watched too much crap to scare own self.

On arrival to south terminal stop, the entrance to the airport is very ambiguous. I was lucky to have other passengers that work in the airport. So I just followed them to a side entrance which leads up to a staircase. I was expecting a direct drop off at the main terminal and this route is not direct at all! There is no sign board and I made a mental note that in future, if I smell coffee is time to turn to the side door on the right. I am never good with direction...

The sight of people checking in baggage in Easy Jet counters is overwhelming. Very long queue. Am just glad that I do not have to check in baggage. Bought a 45L berghaus bag to suit the journey which though expensive, is very light and good for back. Should have bought the female version though because the male version has got a longer back that do not fit into my shorter back curvature. But travelling light also means I cannot dress up...

Needless to say, I collapsed the moment I settled into the plane. Too tired. Wished I have a seat near the window because the view from top upon approaching Glasgow is fabulous. Arrived in Glasgow at 830am. Managed to find the glasgowflyer bus without any problem. Just pay GBP4 and one gets into the city. Glasgow is the only city in Scotland that I did not manage to find a backpackers hostel near the bus station. I walked solid 20min or more to the hostel. Of course, I got lost a bit :P Thank God I have a good sense to pack light hence not much suffering...

Bluesky Hostel is the only one of the 4 hostels that I was staying in Scotland to have a computer with internet and also free breakfast. Room and bath is small but am not picky. Had very good sleep until 3am when some drunk tenants chatted loudly at the hallway but since I was so sleep deprived, that was just a minor glitch.

Glasgow

I only spent half a day in Glasgow. I walked to West Nile Street first to withdraw money from HSBC. Must have enough dough to play around. Then walked to the city's main square, George Square to the tourist office. The staffs there are amazing. Extremely helpful and knowledgeable. The best part is I met Phaik Yee, a junior just outside the tourist office. She came to Glasgow for neuro convention and would be going back. Due to her kindness, I got a free hop on hop on city tour bus which save me a lot of time walking from one place to another.

First, on arrival to Glasgow cathedral stop, I lost my bearing. The skyline is dotted by many black structures and I was intrigued by it. It is the majestic Necropolis, a huge cemetery that is strangely beautiful and captivating. Next is the St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art. Quite interesting. I just browsed through due to lack of time. 
Later, I went to the Glasgow cathedral, the only mainland cathedral that survived the Reformation. The choir is beautiful. It has a lower church that keeps St Mungo's tomb. Gave donation for preservation work. One good thing about Glasgow is all the places of attraction is free, the exact opposite of the popular Edinburgh.

Hop into the bus for next location, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum which is also free! Along the way, the bus passed by Glasgow Green, the oldest park in Glasgow and People's Palace. I would love to drop by but lack of time. The bus tour also covers Glasgow famous SECC ( Scottish Exhibition and Convention Centre) that is affectionately called by the locals "The Armadillo" and Clyde Arc ("Squinty bridge"). Other places include the Clyde Harbour and Tall Ship. The audio guide is qood but I am easily distracted by the view and sometimes unable to catch the Scottish accent.

Kelvingrove Museum is simply amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and despite lack of sleep, I stayed alert because there are simply too many things to see. I especially love the sections on Glasgow people& living (about the life story of immigrants from all over the world and how was it like living in a new place), Creatures of The Past, Egyptian and artwork of Charles Macintosh, MacDonald sisters and the Glasgow boys. And because the museum gave me so much joy, I gave my donation.

Started raining heavily and I ran for the bus. Once reached George Square, I just wondered around the city because the Hop on Hop off bus last service was at 430pm. October is not a great month for travel because is considered winter month and bus service becomes less frequent. But the good part is less tourists and easier to get accomodation. 

2 comments:

  1. A fastastic journey which is well noted down. I read with great interest. Keep it up, pal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chee Beng! You are my first fan. He he he.

    ReplyDelete