Sunday 10 October 2010

3rd day:Mon 4/10/10 Mallaig,Glenfinnan viaduct and Monument

Baptist Church in Fort William that I attended on Sun night

                                         Near Corpach train stop
                                          Mallaig: simple and yet attractive
                                          During circular walk in Mallaig, Isle of Skye at the horizon
Houses at Mallaig Beag on top left

            Glenfinnan Monument with Loch Eil at the background, view from top of hill behind the Tourist Center
Glenfinnan Viaduct from the same hilltop, I waited for the sun for this glorious view...
Woke up early to catch a Scotsrail train to Mallaig. The only reason I did this is because I wanted to snap a photo of Glenfinnan viaduct and is too kamsiap to pay for the Jacobite steam train which cost 4 times more. But the journey to Mallaig was rewarded with much more than just a snapshot of the infamous viaduct made famous in Harry Potter movies. The view along the journey is like a delicious appetizer before a main meal. The train stopped in Corpach (2nd photo) where the famous Neptune's staircase is ( the longest staircase lock in the UK). Wish I have time to stop but it takes more than an hour as the boat is being moved through all 8 locks. Btw, the first photo is of the church that I attended the night before.


Mallaig is very picturesque. It has the out of the postcard feel whenever I snapped a photo. This is where tourists hop into ferries to Isle of Skye. I walked along the seafront and found a hiking trail called "Circular Walk". In oppose to my natural laziness, strangely in Scotland I am game for any hiking. Deep inside I knew that every hiking is always rewarded by a majestic view. And so i climbed the long staircase and up the hill. Wind was blowing quite harshly at times but manageable. The view from top is truly worthwhile. It overlooks the Isle of Skye. Instead of taking the same route back, I tried taking a tar road hoping that it would lead back to the town. There is a small settlement of houses over this small hill (Mallaig Beag; Beag means small peak) that facing the sea. What a great place for retirement and de-stress! Walked my way back to town to catch a local Shiel bus to Glenfinnan. Mallaig is also famous for fresh seafood. Wish I can dine here but I had to rush because buses are infrequent in winter especially for a small town. 


Glenfinnan proved to be exactly as beautiful as shown in the photos that I have seen in the website. The climb up the Glenfinnan Monument is via a small, narrow and steep staircase but 360 degree view of Loch Shiel and Glenfinnan viaduct is definitely worth the hardwork. Wind was very strong and my hands did shake when taking some of the photos. I had plenty of time at this place because the next Shiel bus is only due 3 hours later. So I hiked a small hill behind the tourist center. On the peak of this hill is the best view of Glenfinnan viaduct (made famous by Harry Potter movie where Hogwart express was shot travelling on this exact viaduct). Sat there while enjoying the view before climbing down to visit the museum. Though small but very informative about the Stuart royal lineage, Bonnie Prince and how the Jacobite was founded and defeated. And I started shopping because there was nothingelse to do. This was how I fell in love with the rum & raisin fudge. It was handmade and very very delicious! And I thought I only love Indian sweet. Later I spent more money buying fudges than anything else. The bus was slightly later than usual. I had to wait outside the comfort of the tourist center because the bus would not stop unless someone waves madly. It started to rain and it was getting colder. I watched as the cars leaving and wondered whether I should hitch-hiked instead. Alas, the bus came to my relief. Renting a car is really a much better idea to travel around the higlands. If I had a car, I would have gone back by 2pm and climb the Glen Nevis to see the Stealth Falls and Lower Falls (famous waterfallls in Fort William). Anyway, reached Fort William by 5pm when it started to rain heavily. I tried to walk to waterfront to take photo of Loch Linhe but the wind blew my umbrella upside down (if you know what I mean). I treasured my camera more hence aborted the futile attempt of trying to go against the wind. Walked back to the hostel. Met Veronica and she suggested to visit Eilean Donan castle, the site where Highlander was shot. I was torn between that and of Glen Nevis. Worst, check out time for the next day was 1030am....Wish I had a car....

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you keep yourself slimmer in this hike, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chee Beng, I also ate a lot of sweet fudge so it compensates :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. which camera r u using? the pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maryam, is Sony Nex-3 with 18-55mm lens. Is an E mount camera, not a DSLR. I like it because easy to use, lighter than DSLR. It costs me about RM1900, bought in the Curve :) But I think the photos are great simply because Scotland is so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete