Sunday 10 October 2010

8th day: Saturday 9/10/10: Dean Village,Water of Leith, Inverleith Park, Botanical Garden, West&East Princes Park, More museums

Water of Leith

Inverleith Park

                                           I drank from soup that uses this. Is very yummy.
                                             Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
                            I would never have guessed alpine plant can have such beautiful flowers
                                           East Princess St Garden
 West Princess St Garden
Is the last day in Edinburgh. So I tried to squeeze in few more sighseeing. Walked along Princes Street then along Queensferry St to Dean Village. It is a grain millet hamlet and is a big difference from the city. The air and sight is so refreshing. The Water of Leith (river) run across it and I walked along the river to reach the Dean Gallery and Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art. I reached there at 9am but the museums only open at 10am. Sadly, I had to move on to the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. Walked pass the lovely Inverleith Park to go to the Botanical Garden .  People of Edinburgh are indeed very lucky to have so many beautiful parks to jog and play. The botanic garden is massive. Very informative and I especially enjoyed the exhibition on fungi. This is also when I discovered I had eaten a mummified worm before (without knowing it earlier of course). Love this place. There is Chinese garden (setup with help from Yunnan), Rock Garden, Queen Mother's Memorial garden, Alpine garden, Woodland Garden, Cryptogamic garden, Victorian Palm House etc. I like the Alpine garden the most because the plants are amazing. It can withstand the cold and windy atmosphere at top of the mountain  but cannot live with the mainland temperature (such irony). Hence it is kept in a shade with constant blowing wind (from a pipe) to ensure dry moisture. 


After this fruitful visit, I walked back to Princes Street and visited St John's Church. The church is quite grand inside. Explored the West Princes Street Park. I prefer this park than its east counterpart which is separated by the Mound and the National Gallery. Visited the Royal Scottish Academy which has good collection of the past artists including Monet, Pable Picasso, Rembrandt, Glasgow boys etc.


Went back to hostel to get my rucksack and headed towards the City Art Centre. It was a very short visit because had to pay to other exhibition and since I had limited time, decided to leave after enjoy the potraits display. Next was the Fruitmarket Gallery across the road, which is simple and yet interesting piece of art. 


Packed dinner in Subway outlet in The Princes Street shopping mall and hopped into bus100 to the airport.


Edinburgh has got too many places to visit and too much things to do. One has to choose between sightseeing (historical building vs. art) , horror/ spoky adeventure in the Edinburgh dungeon, graveyard and the underneath vault (which I did not do) and shopping. So many things to shop for but I simply have no time to shop...they close at 8pm.


In future, I hope to visit the Palace, National Museum of Scotland and the Scottish National Gallery for Modern Art. 
But if I get a chance to visit the Scotland, I would visit the Highlands and the islands surround it because the Highlands is definitely love at the first sight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment