Sunday 10 October 2010

7th day: Fri 8/10/10 Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile, Grassmarket, Holyrood Park, Arthur's Seat

Another early bird day. Started early for more sightseeing. Tried Scottish breakfast of Haggis and Eggroll. Not bad :)


Walked along Princes Street, crossed the road and at the National Gallery of Scotland, I climbed the staircase to the Mound. There is a Impressionist exhibition in the National Gallery but have to pay GBP10 to enter. The Royal Scottish Academy behind it is free though :)
There is a Museum on the Mound that depicts the counterfeit currency notes but I did not have time to enter. Too many museums and so little time. Explored Market Street and found the City Art Centre (certain exhibition has to pay) and Fruitmarket Gallery. Opening time mostly either 930 or 10am. Then explored the Royal Mile (High Street & Lawnmarket). There are many places of attraction along the Royal Mile but either is still closed or have to pay to go in. Passed by the St Giles cathedral (wished I had time to went in), Parliament Square and Signet Library, Gladstone House on my way to the castle.


The Edinburgh castle was swarming with tourists even before the opening hours. Mainly tourists from China. The admission fee is expensive and VAT 17.5% is charged on top of it. I was foolish enough to get an audio guide which cost GBP3 and another additional VAT charged too. Ended up paying GBP16(considered as contribution to the UK economy :P). The castle has got a very good guide that gave an overal brief history of the castle and the information at all gallery are well signposted. So I really do not need an audio guide because I was information overloaded!!! The castle drained me of all energy and took me 3 hours plus. There is Portcullis Gate, One o'clock gun ( a very old cannon that fires daily at 1pm except Sun, Christmas and Good Friday), National War Museum, St Margaret's chapel, Mons Meg, Scottish National War Memorial, Royal palace and Honours of Scotland (Stone of Destiny, crown jewel, sword and sceptre), Castle Vault (Prison of Wars). Bought a small bottle of malted whiskey here. There was free whiskey testing in the library and of course I was taken by the smooth whiskey taste. :P


After the castle, I explored the nook and corners of the Royal Mile as suggested by Lonely Planet. It was fine but one can do without the adventure. There was not much time for Holyrood Palace. Plus I got a bit lost after Cowgate, walked into Nicolson St instead of Canongate. So when I reached the Cannongate (part of Royal Mile), I only had less than an hour for the palace. So I skipped that. Went to the free Museum of Edinburgh instead. It is a very ancient building, previously a tenement itself. Here I discovered where and how people lived in the olden days. And the rich people did used the Sedan chair ( is like taxi for hire) to avoid their expensive clothes and shoes to get dirty. (just like the Chinese in the past!) There is also the old collar and bowl of Greyfriars Bobby, a legendary loyal dog that guard the grave of his master after his death and very old wooden water pipe (in the past water pipe was made of water resistant wood)


Opposite the museum is the Kirk of the Canongate. Later, I reached the Scottish Parliament, very modern, a stark difference from the older buildings around it. Opposite the Parliament is The Holyrood Palace. Visited the Holyrood Park briefly before heading towards Arthur's seat. It was a very steep climb and I was almost out of breath. The view from top again was worthwhile and I got to see the Salisbury Craig, 46m high cliffs at the top of Arthur's seat. After reaching the bottom, it was a long walk home. Went for a proper Scottish traditional meal at White Horse Bar at Canongate. I spotted this restaurant/pub earlier in the morning. It has reasonable priced Haggis,Neep and Tatties. Ordered that and a shot of Macallan single malt whiskey (merely 25ml). I have always wanted to try Scottish ale and whiskey but because I travel alone, I had to choose the pub wisely. I like this pub because no loud music nor rowdy crowd. It is a very pleasant place to dine though no luxurious feel to it. It is one of the oldest pub around first established in the 1790s. Staffs are nice too.


After dinner, I realized my legs are very sore and stiff. My legs felt like wooden stilt. Dragged my legs  along North Bridge back to hostel....


It was not a good sleep because the mattress was quite thin that I could feel the springcoils and worse, my legs were so painful with every turn.
Edinburgh Castle

                                             One o'clock gun
Arthur's seat, killed my legs here

                                             Haggis, neeps and tatties with whiskey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment