Tuesday 31 May 2011

Germany Day 3: Thu 7/4/11: Munich

On this day, I did a mini city tour. Walked to Marienplatz passing by Karlsplatz and Neuhauser street.  At the Marienplatz is the iconic Fischbrunnen (Fish fountain) and the Neues Rathaus with Glockenspiel. Legend has it that if one dip his wallet into the fountain on Ash Wednesday, his wallet would always be full...

Straight ahead is Altes Rathaus which has been converted to be a Spielzeugmuseum (toy museum). I entered St Peterskirche but there was service ongoing so I went to Viktualienmarkt instead. Heiliggeistkirche (or Asamkirche) with famous Asam frescoes (by Asam brothers) is just next to the market. From there, I walked along Sparkassen street towards Residenz, a palace and museum which was seat of Wittelsbach rules for over four centuries in the past. Opposite Residenz is the Hofgarten (Palace Garden). A lot of people jog and cycle around the park. There is an underground pedestrian tunnel that connects the Hofgarten to Englischer Garten. Englisher garten is very lovely with sparkling river, dainty Japanisches Teehaus and Chineischer Turm. The park is really massive and I got a bit lost. Once back to Marienplatz, I visited St Peterskirche again. I waited for the Glockenspiel (carillon) show at 12noon before walking back to the hostel. The upper two levels of the Glockenspiel display Schafflertanz(a ritualistic dance) and the lowest most shows Ritterturnier, a knight's tournament during royal wedding.
Englischer Garten

By noon, I boarded train to Berlin. It was not a direct fast train hence had to change 3 stations. The train got delayed and I had to take a later train at night and arrived in Berlin near 11pm :(
I had craving for noodles on this day and ate dinner in a Vietnamese restaurant. In Berlin, I stayed in Plus Berlin Hostel which is almost like a 5 star hostel ...really good place to stay in Berlin, being very near the Warscauer St U-bahn station.

No comments:

Post a Comment